Saturday, July 4, 2015

Enter Skot! A LITANY OF GAMES

It's possible--no, likely--that I have a problem.  Not that I'm not enjoying it!  I don't even think it's doing me harm, per se, necessarily, as such.  So what's the problem, then?  Let's take a look at the games I played and/or bought this weekend.  (So far.  It's not over yet.)

  • Anomaly 2 - Some kind of tower defense game?  I think?  Bought it because it was $3 and could be played on my phone.  Played the first mission, said "well, it's not exactly tower defense, but that's definitely the starting point," stopped playing because I was getting tired.
  • Don't Move - The Humble Store had it on sale for fifty-something-percent off, but I went and bought it at full price on my phone anyway.  I had the suspicion that this was a game I could technically complete by leaving it running without doing anything.  It did not disappoint in that regard, as I found out by "playing" while playing Anomaly 2.
  • Besiege - Finally!  It's been on my wish list for ages.  I came into a Steam wallet card, so I finally snagged it.  Played the first four or so levels.  I keep needing to take a break every level or two because I don't understand complicated mechanisms all that well, and the game is nothing but intentionally constructing complicated mechanisms to get things done.
  • Borderlands 2 - There's 925 hours of play time on my Steam account for this game.  I added one of those hours today, because of nostalgia.
  • Tales from the Borderlands - The source of that nostalgia!  Turns out immersing myself in a story set on Pandora made me yearn to also just run around and shoot shit on Pandora.  Whoops.
  • NARUTO SHIPPUDEN: Ultimate Ninja STORM Revolution - I'm not responsible for the capitalization on that.  (I can only dream of being so wildly irresponsible with capital letters.)  Having watched all of the first Naruto series on Netflix very recently, I couldn't really pass this up when it was even mildly on sale.
  • Nuclear Throne - Also purchased with the Steam card.  A roguelike, plus mutations, plus guns.  I'm not sure it should remain legal to produce games this finely tuned to a person's interests. That said, I only played it for about two minutes after the initial download, so...?
  • 7 Grand Steps, Step 1: What Ancients Begat - This came as part of a Humble Bundle. Given that it is a "board-like" game with a coin-and-slot interface, I was not expecting to spend more than a minute or so checking it out.  Was proven wrong after four hours.  Whoops.
  • MASSIVE CHALICE - I like this one!  I'll probably write about it in more detail.
  • World's Dawn - It's like Harvest Moon, but promises to be different?  I backed it on Kickstarter, which just succeeded today or yesterday.  Also a demo was available, so I checked it out super briefly.
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut - I watched a video for a different Shadowrun game, and that put me in the mood to play the other Shadowrun game I own, but then I realized I've started that one twice and didn't get very far either time but also didn't remember enough that I wouldn't have to start from the beginning again, but then I realized I had this one, so whew.  Whew!  I wanted to play "something tactical", and I got just that.
So...eleven?  Eleven games played for sure.  I feel like I'm forgetting one or two that aren't immediately look-up-able in my Steam and/or purchase history.  It's difficult to remember what I thought or felt about most of them, at the time.  Is that awful?  Is it awful that I own more games than I could possibly play, even if I were to quit my job right now and do nothing but play my existing collection, and not buy any more games, which if we're all being honest with ourselves was never really under consideration anyway?  I think possibly it is, but again, not really in a way that's hurting anyone.

But! That's not to say I couldn't be trying harder to extract something worthwhile from this heap.  I have thoughts!  And... opinions!  Maybe I could develop them through writing?  Maybe I could hone my capacity for insight to a keen edge, and slice poor purchasing decisions to ribbons!  Maybe I could just have an excuse to write.

Who knows!  The point is, if there's anything I cane meaningfully review, it's probably all these games I have lying around.  Expect writing about games?  I'd say expect Let's Plays and such of games, but I've never been super clear on how people capture the video for those, and I honestly don't want to deal with the (probably minimal!) hassle of getting all that set up.  So expect writing.  About games.

Yes. Good.

No comments:

Post a Comment